8.03.2008

Mormon musings


As most of you know, I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some people call us Mormons, which is great since it's a shorter moniker and not offensive.

If you've ever admired my sense of optimism, cheerful attitude and kindness, you should know it has everything to do with my faith. If you've ever criticized my negativity, crudeness or ignorance, you should know it has nothing to do with my faith.

But most importantly, you should know how important my faith is to me. It gives me clarity and understanding in a contentious world. It gives me peace amid chaos. It gives me direction and purpose instead of confusion. And, most gloriously, it gives me hope.

Hope has come in handy lately. Life hasn't been easy this past year, and without a moral compass to guide me, I might have gotten lost in my grief. Instead, I found sweetness in the most bitter of trials. How thankful I am for that.

Still, I have a lot more that I can do. I realized recently that being a mom has actually drawn me away from my spiritual pursuits. While I am closer to God in many ways due to the sacred charge of raising my daughter(s), I am also busier, more stressed and more tired - not to mention more focused on others than myself. While that's all admirable, I've used it as an excuse to go through my spiritual motions without really experiencing them.

But lately I've felt like getting raw - really stripping down to my spiritual bones and thinking about life; about my purpose; about what the Lord wants me to do in this life. I'm not going to lie, it almost made me wet my pants. Opening your heart to what you are supposed to do - not what you want to do, not what's convenient, and most certainly not what's socially acceptable - is scary. Sometimes we have to be very vulnerable to become powerful.

I don't know what the next few months will hold for me or my loved ones. There are some tough times ahead for lots of us, and I plan to face them head-on and head held high. No matter what I am asked to do or experience, I know I will be doing what is right for me. I will be trusting in Christ and counting on his sacrifice to help assuage my fears.

It might sound like mumbo-jumbo to you non-religious folk out there, but I know it's true. I'd honestly be less surprised if the sun didn't rise tomorrow than if my faith were founded on false doctrine or prophets. I believe it. I know it.

Anyway, that's what I wanted to say today.

Also, I love carbohydrates.

Amen.

20 comments:

Karen Vutrano said...

That was beautiful. And inspiring.

Leslie said...

thanks for your wonderful thoughts, mrs dub. your family is in mine during these difficult times. happy sunday.

Leisha Mareth said...

Wow. Amen! I also love carbs.

Kristina P. said...

Mrs. Dub, I had to laugh when I saw you commented on my blog this morning. I found your blog a few weeks ago, and finally decided to leave a comment to come out of lurking (as I ask people to do so on mine), while I was at work on Friday. And then I was called away and had to erase it. So, I'm officially out of lurking!

And this post really touched me. I struggle with my faith everyday, and I've had times in my life where it hasn't been, at all, and other times where I've been apathetic and lazy.

Do I have to get up at 6 AM on Sunday to be a good Mormon? :)

Kristina P. said...

That is, hasn't been difficult at all.

Jessi said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and testimony. They will touch so many people.

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

amen and amen. love you.

stephanie said...

lovely. i'm thinking about you and your family today.

P Daddy said...

Simple pure testimony, recommitment, and love of carbs--pretty tidy and appropriate package for a Fast Sunday. I take pride in all your posts, but I find deep satisfaction in ones like this. Amen to all you said. And maybe I shouldn't have put so much emphasis on chiasmus in teaching Alma 36 in Gospel Doctrine today. Though I did relate the story of where one of the brethren told the seminary curriculum committee after their demonstration of the audio-visual bells and whistles of a new program of study: "That's all nice, but I hope we don't have anyone teaching seminary who can't do it with a testimony and a piece of chalk."

LCM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wonderland Girl said...

I admire your ability to use your blog to share your testimony. You influence and inspire people you will never meet. Like me. :)

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

Hey, the people that know you know what's really going on.....not fair.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts nonetheless. You have a great way with words, and your testimony was beautiful.

Kelley Bochman Smith said...

Ditto, you are so much better at words that I will ever be. XOXO

janaya said...

thanks for sharing. since i was camping instead of sitting in testimony meeting yesterday morning (my parents raised me better than this), this provided a much needed dose of spiritual uplift (though, i can't deny a good healthy dose of the outdoors can do wonders too). you really are an amazing person. and you know just how to say things... any interest in writing my talk for next sunday? :)

Kate said...

Thanks for a lovely post. Inpiring and just wonderful.

The Shabby Princess said...

Lovely.

It is hard to sometimes do what Heavenly Father wants us to do, but, the blessings and rewards are so great.

Thank you for sharing.

Sarah Garner said...

Amen.

Seriously, I do not know how anyone gets through this life without the knowledge that we're working toward something SO much bigger than all the big & little experiences we have on earth, and with out knowing we truly do have someone looking out for our good.

...and without carbs. I definitely don't understand how people can survive without those.

Lindsey from The R House said...

love this post.
needed to hear it.

i love sugar.

Anonymous said...

I just want to leave a small, totally non-judgmental comment on behalf of those of us who do live our lives without any belief in a higher being. I read and enjoy your blog and respect your religious views. However, I'd like your readers to know that our lives are not empty without god. I am constantly filled with awe and wonder at the ecosystems, animals, and geologic forces that nature has given us, and I am very happy and inspired to view them through the lens of science rather than faith. I would be as surprised to find evidence of god as you would to find the opposite. But that isn't a criticism, merely a statement of my own belief - a perspective that is certainly in the minority in 2008 America.

There is a very unfortunate amount of friction in this world between those who believe and those who don't. I hope that one day everyone can truly respect what others believe and even learn from them, as I do from you.

But I do *completely* agree with you on the carbs :-)

The Queen said...

"I'd honestly be less surprised if the sun didn't rise tomorrow than if my faith were founded on false doctrine or prophets."

Totally!!