7.24.2008

Maybe I should be Catholic


Like any red-blooded American, I suffer from a healthy sense of guilt. Here are a few things currently racking my conscience:

* The effusive post I was going to write thanking PROVO CRAFT for donating a brand new Cricut machine for Zuzu's Petals. It arrived in the mail last month with no note or no explanation, but with a warm glow surrounding the box. (Maybe it was the tears in my eyes that caused that.)

* The fact that I have yet to open the Cricut box, because I've been busy vacationing and dreaming about more vacationing. But when I do - whoa-boy! - there will be paper flowers all over my 900 square feet.

* The thank-you notes that will never be written for my birthday gifts, cards and other treats. What? You didn't know it was my birthday? Yeah, it was in June. I hate birthdays. However, I do enjoy gifts, I just feel so undeserving of them. Next year, send a check to my mother's womb.

* The formal thank-you that was never written to Mr. Fabulous, who purchased a crib for my parents' house because Miss Dub is not a port-a-crib fan. The guilt over this one singes a little.

* Not making millions doing something that could include a best-selling novel or a new hair removal system. (Remember Epilady?)

What's making you feel guilty*?



* Posting and/or commenting about items that make you feel guilty immediately absolves guilt and/or responsibility.


8 comments:

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

oh man, presents make me feel guilty, too. and all the love and support i got after gus died i did not feel i deserved at all. plus all the advice and prayers, the whole thing. anything that puts people out in the slightest.

luckily, i've learned to get over it in the past year of wonderfulness from amazing strangers. but still, i wish i could do more.

at any rate, i understand the guilt thing. my whole life is the guilt thing. at some point we have to understand that people love us and it's ok to appreciate and feel good from it.

Sarah Garner said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto to Melmck.

I'm also feeling slightly guilty that I'm sitting here eating icecream for lunch...wait...nope I'm over that.

steph said...

1. i haven't called certain ppl to say 'thanks a million' for bday gifts. i love my birthday, btw.

2. traveling so much for work. hubbs misses me when i'm gone.

Young Family said...

I'm so glad tohear you got the Cricut. I had been wondering about that. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I wrote a letter to the hospital about a month ago with some complaints as to how some things were handled. I surely hope they made some changes so other moms wouldn't have to deal with the same problems I did. I hope Zu zu's petals helps many others as well.

I have so many things that make me feel guilty I won't even begin to list them. I don't want to remind myself of all the areas I fall short in.

melissa said...

i feel guilty (and left out) that i dont get to go home to Utah and attend all my family stuff. baby showers/blessings, wedding showers, birthday/anniversay parties, our tri-annual reunions, my cousin opening for Kelly Pickler (ya that ones tonight!).

i always feel guilty and afraid that they think i dont care enough to come. when in reality, if i could i would hop on a plane for all of those events.

and i think my work should feel guilty for making me work on a holiday!!! who cares if it is a utah holiday, not a california one?

Jen said...

When I am not living my motto: "Guilt is optional," I feel guilty that my house is very very seldom immaculately clean, or even mostly clean.

Jessi said...

I feel guilty that I'm making my kids clean the house while I sit and read blogs. (Of course they are the ones that messed it up, so they should be the ones to clean....)

Meili said...

Ditto about the thank you cards. I'm never good about that. I never even finished writing thank you cards for my wedding gifts, and I don't think "better late than never" applies when you're 5 years late.

Should I feel guilty for catching up on blog stalking while at work? If so, I refuse. It's Friday afternoon.