4.25.2007

SIX











Six month ago today, I pushed a baby out of an unmentionable place.

Which is a lot more notable than saying, “Six months ago I ate an entire pizza by myself”or, “Six months ago I discovered an aversion to black.”

I mean, six months ago I became a mother, which forever altered my life.

(Which is more than I can say about the pizza, though had I eaten one I might still be bloated. And I do have a lifelong love/hate relationship with black, but get your own post, you drab but slenderizing hue!)

There are so many things I’ve learned in the last six months that I didn’t know before I joined the mommy ranks.

Like, the fact that – warning: men may want to avert their eyes – there are multiple holes for milk distribution.

And that you have to use Tucks to take the edge off an episiotomy.

And that your own child’s poo is way less revolting than a stranger's poo, but still gross in its own way. (Especially, once she starts solids!)

I’ve figured out the right combination of milk and rice cereal – 65/35.

I’ve mastered an indestructible swaddle, complete with some duct tape. (Which I was surprised to find didn’t make me feel like an abusive mother, despite what you are all thinking right now. And, no, you can’t have my address.)

And I’ve discovered that I actually care more about Miss Dub’s wardrobe than my own. (Though having both up to date is a dream scenario.)

I’ve realized I don’t hate pink and can’t deny my daughter the chance to wear insane amounts of it.

I’ve given up my hope to only allow her minimalist toys in muted colors and bought things with “rainforest” and “aquarium” in the title.

And I’ve discovered that Baby Einstein is a mother’s salvation.

Miss Dub hasn’t done too bad for herself either. At six months, she now weighs a whoppin’ 17.9 pounds and measures 27 inches long. In six months, she’s learned to hold her head up, smile, coo, screech, squeal and laugh. She’s learned to roll over front to back and back to front. She’s learned to move objects from one hand to another. She’s learned to sit up. She’s learned to hold a bottle and a sippy cup all by herself. And that’s just a sampling of her many new skills.

So we’ve both learned a lot.

But probably the greatest epiphany of all is how much we love each other.

How my baby is also my best friend.

How my heart melts every day when I see her smiling face.

How I can’t stop saying, “She’s so cute,” or, “She’s so smart,” or, “She’s so perfect.”

How I still can’t believe it, even after six months, when I say, “She’s mine.”

Happy ½ -birthday, lil’ Miss.

Here’s to the next six!

p.s. What have you learned since becoming a mommy? Or, if you're not one yet, what do you hope to learn?

16 comments:

mommie said...

So . . . this post made me . . .
a) cry
b) want to wish away the next 36 hours until I can hold all 18 pounds of a certain Miss Dub
c) say a thankful prayer that YOU . . . Mrs. Dub . . . are MINE
d) want to eat a whole pizza

Anonymous said...

I wanna hold the 1/2 birthday girl! So does her 5 yr old cousin. I am so glad you are in love with this beautiful baby! How blessed we are that D. Dub found you and was smart enough to hold on tight!

Layton Clan said...

Wow Mrs. Dub. You just jerked every emotion out of my dry and allergic tear ducts. What a fantastic post. I have not had any little ones of my own, as my body is trying to fight giving me the chance (I will prevail) but I am the step-mom to an awesome 11 year old. Even just being a part time mom has helped me to become more sensitive, and I love this kid like he was my own, and with all my heart. I so look forward to the sweet experiences you have had with little miss dub. Thank you for sharing!!!

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

one very important thing i learned was you have no idea how hard it is to have a baby until you do it. only other mother's can understand what i am talking about. ps. those are some great pics of lil miss.

KKKTMSHELBY said...

i know!
isn't it kind of crazy - to think that every mother out there (in the whole world) loves their baby as much as you do yours! that always baffles me! i think i just love kalle more than humanly possibly ... but every momma!

Kate said...

I'm still laughing at your multiple holes for milk comment. I didn't know that before either. I didn't know anything about breast-feeding at all.
I learned to do a lot of things left-handed because somehow it was always easier for me to hold my little babies in my right arm.

sara said...

Somehow, magically, babies make you feel a kind of love you never knew you had in you. And it's absolutely true that having your first one is more life-changing than anything else in the world.

When you said "here's to the next six" did you mean MONTHS or CHILDREN? :)

Natalie said...

I, too, was in the dark (before becoming a mommy) about the tucks thing and the multiple holes thing - total shocks to me. oh look how wise we've become! little miss is adorable - congrats on 1/2 bday!

hilari said...

well, i know one thing - if you think rice cereal makes for foul smelling diapers, just wait for when chicken nuggets enter the equation. i never knew that i could love one baby so much, then two, now three. how can you just adore and admire all such different personalities? i have also learned how to listen for the children even while sleeping. oh yeah, and to drain spaghetti noddles while holding a baby. dangerous.

kristenita said...

I'm glad you are a fellow-swaddler! I haven't busted out the duct tape, but there have been plenty of nights I probably should have. I have, however, ripped several of my own fingernails pulling that blanket as tight as I can. (the key in my house = big big blanket.)

I didn't know how much nursing was going to HURT for WEEKS at first. and then I didn't believe it would ever STOP hurting.

I also didn't know how much it (labor/delivery) would hurt... and I STILL don't believe I will ever actually forget that pain, like everyone says you will.

tara said...

Well. First of all. Thanks for all the nice comments y'all left yesterday. All I can say is... I can't take all the credit b/c I had a lot of help, and will power to "make it work" (as my mother would say).

You never know before you have kids how much you are willing to give of yourself, even when you're completely exhausted, you will give, and give, and give some more. I also love seeing how each of my 3 girls are so different, and how completely and thoroughly I love each one!- like Hilari said

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachie said...

I learned how much my parents loved me after I hd kids. I learned that you can love 2 kids just as much as one (b/c I had twins). I learned that not enough sleep makes you crazy. I also learned how much fun playdates can be with other friends and threir cute kids (like miss dub).

p.s the milk thing is so funny!

Unknown said...

so cute. im glad that i got to see her before she hit six months, that way we wont let a year go by and still be saying "when will we meet her!?" lol, that sounded not like what i meant. haa. shes cute, just you wait til shes old like me...hahaa. whole different yet FUN ball game. shes cute, its cute that you consider her your best friend...so cute. heart warming.
i sound cheesy.
but i love it.

Brooke said...

i just stumbled upon this, and am laughing out loud at all the SO TRUE observations of that magical first year of motherhood!

and i agree about pink: girls can never have too much pink, one never tires of their baby girl in pink, and really, there are so many variations of pink that they're practically different colors. anyway. cute post!

Mandee said...

I've learned...
-that you can't just leave to run an errand. you need at least 15 minutes of prep time with a baby.
-that the best thing you'll ever hear in your life is your 2 year old saying "I wub you" out of the blue.
-that they grow up way too fast, and babyhood is over in the blink of an eye.
-to write everything down; all of the firsts, the funny things they do any say, because you think you will remember, but you don't.
-that there is nothing better than being a mom.