8.14.2008

Target is the new Playland

I consider myself a pretty busy person, but every now and then I accomplish so much on Monday and Tuesday that Wednesday comes and it's, like, "Will I just be counting the minutes until I eventually die?" (Technically, this is impossible, because you can't count while you're sleeping; and if you're not sleeping, you might be an alien and therefore immune to human boredom. Glad to clear that up.)

Miss Dub, despite her tender age, is actually quite content to keep herself busy playing with her three baby dolls - Mimi, Kiki and Carma. She could spend several hours just rearranging their sitting positions: "Mimi, Carma, Kiki - no, Carma, Mimi, Kiki!" She also likes to mimic me, which is very telling. She's either having a party with them or ordering them to the "mad chair." So apparently I'm a disciplinarian socialite. There are worse things.

But I can only handle so much baby doll time myself. So I decided we would take a trip to Target and let Miss Dub walk around sans cart. (Insert gasps.) Upon getting there, we immediately headed to the ... baby doll section! Yes, I let my child play in the baby doll aisle of Target for 90 minutes. (You did not read wrong. I am a bad person.)

When I realized the aisle had serious appeal, I went and got some magazines. (No worries, I just hid Miss Dub among the baby dolls while I browsed the tabloid section.) I then removed a few stuffed puppies and made myself comfortable on a bottom shelf. Miss Dub happily took down a nice selection of baby dolls - some that pee themselves, some that talk, some that perform delicate surgeries - and rearranged them.

It was sheer genius. Not to be confused with Shear Genius, which is really letting me down this season. No wonder I'm in desperate need of a haircut. I'm just so uninspired in this world of Holmes 'dos. (And, yet, it's still so cute. Curses!)

But the best moment came when I finally insisted we go to the "Mommy section." Miss Dub ran off for a second and then came back carrying a bra.

"Wook, Mommy!" she exclaimed, quite proud of herself, and in full view of Target's teenage male population. (Why were they in the intimates section, anyway?)

"Our house," she added, meaning I have some at our house.

Not one to embarrass my daughter, I gave the bra an enthusiastic examination.

32DD.

Very flattering. Maybe I am doing something right.

12 comments:

Young Family said...

I never tire of reading your blog. You crack me up all the time.

Sarah Garner said...

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I am so glad I'm not the only mommy out there that takes their child to Target (or Walmart when I dont' feel like driving that far) to play with their toys. My husband travels ALL THE TIME sometimes I just need a free entertainment for the kids AWAY from the house. Plus, even if you don't talk to the other grown ups, they are all around you reminding you that they DO exist.

Leisha Mareth said...

Genius. This is any trip to Target for us. My 7 year old likes to examine each and every single solitary toy. It has driven me mad up til this point, next time I'm moving some puppies, taking and seat and maybe bringing a giant pretzel and slurpee from the front cafe!

Mary said...

There are dolls that do delicate surgery? That could save us a bundle!

Thanks for the picture.

Leslie said...

my friend natalie does this all the time, too. i've yet to be converted. probably because i have really low will power when it comes to buying my kids a new toy. i'd almost rather just buy them something cheap and come home to let them play with it while i have some quiet time to read your blog. :)

Josie said...

luckily our target has an indoor play place attached to it. so we both win.

your posts have been cracking me up lately

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

i wish i could take gracie to target without her becoming a human tornado and actually destroying the things she sees. i let her out of the cart once while robby was with me and i don't think i'll ever do it again until she's 3 and her 2-year-old attitude has subsided a bit.

thank goodness for cute little miss dub letting you have some peace and quiet. however, gracie does like to sit in her room and make different random toys kiss and talk to each other (preferably of the same species, like pigs) and they would probably be having some kind of conversation if gracie didn't still speak her own language.

hurry back to az so gracie and miss dub can play together. i bet they would get a kick out of each other.

NG said...

IKEA makes a good playground too. Not that I do that regularly. I'm just sayin'.

Shaka said...

90 min.! wow! i can't say i have ever had the patience to stay that long!

steph said...

oooh, oooh, oooh! can we go play at target when i come?! can we?! can we?!

adorable pic of the little miss!

mr. underhill said...

I think we should get her the anesthesiologist doll for her birthday. That or the urologist -- it's a toss up.

The Queen said...

hahaha!! i love how they have enough of that size where she was able to randomly pull it out, but when I need MY size, that's a completely different story.