8.26.2008

RIP esophagus

I'm ecstatic to report that Pdaddy's surgery was a success. If by success you mean he's now missing a vital organ.

Some of you have wondered how someone lives with an esophagus. (It's a question I asked myself when I first found out my dad had esophageal cancer, shortly after, "No, dad!" and, "I will beat you with a wrench, cancer!") Just call it God's Gastric Bypass, because it's a modified version of the surgery made popular by B-list celebs like Carnie Wilson and Al Roker. Basically, they pull up your stomach and attach it to what's left of the esophagus. That makes your stomach smaller and your faux esophagus not as good at things like eating spicy foods and vomiting, but it's a small price to pay in exchange for your life ... though I do know my dad loves him some hot sauce.

And I so know that if Pdaddy was awake and alert right now, he would school us all on the risky procedure using intricate vocabulary and a few tart jokes. But he's still coming out of anesthesia so you'll have to settle for me. And recent polls suggest I'm slightly more accurate than Wikipedia, except when discussing Arctic animals. (Never been my strong suit.)

Anyway, I really appreciate the prayers and fasting and general love that I've felt from my fellow bloggees this entire year. I found out my dad had a horrible form of cancer a mere six weeks after Baby Zee died. It was like getting punched in the stomach - one still healing from a C-section. So things have been rough, to say the least.

But I have never lost my hope or faith, though I'll be darned if the devil didn't try to beat both of them out of me. So thanks to all of you for keeping me strong. It truly takes a village to get out of bed sometimes.

Now, where's that wrench?


p.s. You can keep praying for Pdaddy. The hard part has just begun.

22 comments:

Leslie said...

it sounds like prayers are being heard, we'll keep at it. tell pdaddy hi from the blogfriends when he wakes up!

Karen Vutrano said...

Wonderful, wonderful news. Thanks for sharing. The prayers will continue. Man, you Dubs and the Mrs Side (I don't know the blog names for your mom and PDaddy) are tough cookies--and clearly blessed!

Joey and Megan said...

Hang in there. Your mom will definitely need your support, even if it's from a distance. Hopefully he will be a good patient!

The Michiganders said...

I am so sorry that your family if going through this. You are in my thoughts.

Rachel said...

prayers, prayers, prayers and more prayers.

stephanie said...

oh i am so glad his surgery went well. i've been thinking about you guys all day. we'll keep praying.

sara said...

Woo hoo! I know PDaddy had done his homework on surgeons and that he got a good one. Thanks for the update and I hope everyone in your family sleeps better tonight.

Young Family said...

I'm glad everything went well. YOu are lucky you are stronger than the devil. I look up to you.

Brenda said...

I'm praying for you all :) Hang in there.

Colleen said...

I'm glad the surgery went well. It really has been a week. I just found out my grandma has cervical cancer and is having all of her girlparts removed this week. Thank goodness for prayer.

Sarah Garner said...

Prayers are answered! You're family has been through a lot, but you've certainly stayed strong through everything and have strengthened a lot of people in the process.

We'll continue to pray!

Mary said...

This IS Mom who chimes in her thanks over and over again. He woke up and cracked a few jokes, answered questions about a surgery he had in 1987 and was generally his old self (except sans esophagus and plus some major pain.)

Thanks again.
Now ... keep it up.

Angy said...

awww yay!!! i'm so happy to hear the surgery went well! i'll definitely keep the prayers comin' :) glad to hear he's awake and already crackin' some jokes! nothin' stops him! yay!

brookegfunk said...

Big Buckets of love from the other Ess Fam.You guys are family and are always in our prayers.

ANN said...

I just did a little happy dance. Love and hugs all around.

Kelli and Craig said...

I am so happy the surgery went well! We will all keep praying!!

Jodi said...

So glad to hear that PDaddy is through surgery. Modern medicine is truly amazing...
He's in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good news and prompt update Lauara! I have been thinking about your dad (and mom) A LOT since Monday. I was so relieved to log on this morning and get the good word!

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

I'm with my mom. Your dad and the whole Ess fam has been constantly in my thoughts for the past couple of days. Thanks for the update!

Kelley Bochman Smith said...

just sending you lots of love!

Lindsey from The R House said...

yesssss!